[Hat] Support request for compiling hat

Robert van Herk robert at opensite.nl
Fri Jun 18 09:11:40 EDT 2004

Hi people,

As a user of haskell, and as a student in information science at the
university of Utrecht, I have been very interested in using hat since a
while. However, I cannot get to compile it...

First, I tried download the latest releases of ghc, hmake and hat.
However,  hat refused to compile because it found the ghc version too
low (although, in fact, it is probably to new).

So, I tried to use the ghc version that the release notes of hat
mentioned. However, hmake refuses to compile with this version installed
:-(. So, I tried to install BOTH releases of ghc. With this setup, hmake
refuses to compile as well...

My new approach was to use the latest releases of ghc and hmake again,
but try the CVS version of hat. The compiling actually started quite
promising, but after a while I got

<SNIP>
Stop - hmake dependency error.
cd src/hattools;      make HC=ghc install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/robert/src/hat/src/hattools'
hmake -hc=ghc -I. -I/home/robert/src/hat/include -fglasgow-exts -package
lang -package util -DUSE_READLINE=1 SrcRefViewer \
        -d/home/robert/src/hat/targets/ix86-Linux/obj/hattools

Fail: Can't find module System in user directories
        .
        .
        /home/robert/src/hat/include
  Or in installed libraries/packages at
        /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.2.1/imports
        /home/robert/soft/lib/ghc-6.2.1/hslibs-imports/lang
        /home/robert/soft/lib/ghc-6.2.1/hslibs-imports/util
  Asked for by: SrcRefViewer.hs
  Fix using the -I, -P, or -package flags.

</SNIP>

Could you please help me in trying to compile the hat software? From
what I read on the site it is very useful, but I just cannot seem to be
able to compile it...

Thanx,

Robert van Herk