[Hat] Problems getting started

Malcolm Wallace hat@haskell.org
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:28:50 +0100

Thomas Davie <tatd100@cs.york.ac.uk> writes:

>    As from my previous mail to haskell-cafe I'm trying to get started
> working with a few haskell tools.  I'm now trying to get hat to build,
> but hitting a problem while compiling.

The problems you are encountering with building Hat are largely due
to the newer version of ghc (6.0) you are using.  ghc-6.0 has some
API changes in its Exception library.  I have a workaround, but it
turns out that fixing this one problem reveals several more issues
with ghc-6.0, such as its stricter interpretation of some of the
lexical rules of Haskell'98.

I do hope to find workarounds for all of the ghc-6.0 compatibility
issues, but in the meantime, you may make better progress if you use
an earlier stable release of ghc such as 5.04.3 on MacOS X (assuming
such a beast exists).

Regards,
    Malcolm