[Hat] Problems getting started

Thomas Davie hat@haskell.org
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:12:40 +0100

On Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003, at 18:28 Europe/London, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> Thomas Davie <tatd100@cs.york.ac.uk> writes:
>
>>    As from my previous mail to haskell-cafe I'm trying to get started
>> working with a few haskell tools.  I'm now trying to get hat to build,
>> but hitting a problem while compiling.
>
> The problems you are encountering with building Hat are largely due
> to the newer version of ghc (6.0) you are using.  ghc-6.0 has some
> API changes in its Exception library.  I have a workaround, but it
> turns out that fixing this one problem reveals several more issues
> with ghc-6.0, such as its stricter interpretation of some of the
> lexical rules of Haskell'98.
>
> I do hope to find workarounds for all of the ghc-6.0 compatibility
> issues, but in the meantime, you may make better progress if you use
> an earlier stable release of ghc such as 5.04.3 on MacOS X (assuming
> such a beast exists).
>
> Regards,
>     Malcolm

Unfortunately having gone back to v5.04.3 I'm back to the readline
errors.
I've been trying the build option to link against the fink copy again
but it still doesn't compile... I can't see a similar place in the
config file to add the relevant commands:

BUILDWITH=ghc
BUILDOPTS=" -L/sw/lib/ -lreadline -I/sw/include/ -DUSE_READLINE=1"
INSTALLVER="2.01"
INSTALLINFO="config: powerpc-Darwin6/ by tatd100@nimbus2.rcp.co.uk on
30 Jul 2003"
BUILDBASEDIR=/Users/tatd100/Desktop/project/hat-2.02/targets
LIBCOMPAT=""
EXE=
CC=cc
GHCSYM=504
TRUE=/usr/bin/true

Any ideas on how to get hat to compile? Is it possible that hmake isn't
working correctly because I compiled it with v6.0 of ghc and then went
back to an older version of the frameworks?

Thanks a lot

Tom Davie