[Haskell-community] Downloads page & Haskell for Mac

Nicolas Wu nicolas.wu at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 14:00:28 UTC 2015

On 24 October 2015 at 11:48, Manuel M T Chakravarty
<chak at justtesting.org> wrote:
> Sorry for jumping late into the discussion surrounding the downloads page. However, I would like to request that Haskell for Mac <http://haskellformac.com> be added to the page. I’m of course happy to make the edits myself and to submit a pull request, but I’d first like to ask what the community thinks is an appropriate way to add this Haskell distribution.

Thanks for bringing this up! Haskell for Mac looks beautiful.

> Would it be appropriate to just add a fourth bullet point to the current list of three (Minimal, Stack & HP)?

I'm not sure. I feel nervous about placing a product that isn't free
to use on the main Haskell.org downloads page. In fact, I even feel
nervous about putting links to a toolchain if it explicitly endorses a
particular product or company. I don't know if that's a sentiment
that's shared amongst others, but we should definitely discuss it.

My preference is that the haskell.org/downloads page should be
targeted at beginners and be as simple and prescriptive as possible,
while allowing the exploration of libraries and projects made
available by the Haskell community. I'm of the opinion that the
current incarnation is too confusing as it stands with three options.

With that said, I think the main downloads page should at least point
to another page that lists and perhaps even discusses all the options
available. This should include compilers other than GHC and links to
commercially available tools. Perhaps this would be an extension of
https://wiki.haskell.org/Implementations.

I also think that it would be worth considering having official
sponsors listed somewhere else on haskell.org, and this might be a
good place for this.

What do others think?

Best wishes,

Nick