[ghc-steering-committee] DH quantifiers (#102), Recommendation: accept

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Fri Feb 23 17:06:08 UTC 2018

Joachim is right here. #102 is motivated by putting #81 (the `forall x y z ->` syntax)  in context. I see a few possible reactions (after suitable bikeshedding):

1. Reject the syntax. If we do this, I'd love to open a larger conversation of ways forward -- do we want tweaks to the syntax or a wholly new approach?

2. Put this idea on hold, with a plan to accept or reject #81 on its own merits.

3. Accept the proposal, but put implementation on the back burner. This would serve to reserve the syntax, without burdening our users until the features are more fully-formed.

4. Accept the proposal and plan to implement.

An advantage of implementing this now (option 4) is that it will ease backward-compatibility problems later. A disadvantage of implementing this now is that further thought may refine our ideas. Option 3 is similar, but both the advantage and disadvantage are at lower volume. Option 2 puts this advantage and disadvantage on mute.

Indeed, the only reason I would advocate for going beyond Option 2 is that the idea, in Joachim's words, looks well-thought-through [1].

Thanks,
Richard

[1]: https://repository.brynmawr.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1074&context=compsci_pubs