[ghc-steering-committee] DH quantifiers (#102), Recommendation: accept

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Feb 23 15:56:43 UTC 2018

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 23.02.2018, 15:52 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones:
> Why do we need this now?  There's lots of new syntax.  Is it solving
> tomorrow's problems, or todays?
>
> Does the proposal subsume #81 (syntax for visible dependent quantification)?
> That one /does/ have a current motivation.
>
> Perhaps #102 is just a grander version of #81, reserving the syntax
> but with #81 as the sole current motivation?

when #81 was proposed, Roman (as the shepherd) complained that on its
own, the choice of syntax in #81 was not very well motivated just by
that proposal. Maybe, if #81 was all there is to do, we’d choose a
different syntax! So really, the syntax in #81 is motivated by coming
up with a consistent and comprehensive syntax scheme for _all_
variations of the quantifier, and Roman asked Richard to write that up
as one proposal, instead of introducing the syntax piece by piece. And
that’s now #102.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de