[GHC DevOps Group] CircleCI job accounting question

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Nov 16 00:23:22 UTC 2017

Manuel M T Chakravarty <manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io> writes:

>> Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com>:
>>
>> Manuel M T Chakravarty <manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io> writes:
>>

>>> Yes, is annoying. On the other hand, you’d think, we are not the only people having this problem.
>>>
>> Indeed we aren't; for instance, see [1] and [2].
>>
>> [1] https://discuss.circleci.com/t/how-to-add-a-path-to-path-in-circle-2-0/11554
>> [2] https://discuss.circleci.com/t/circle-ci-v2-and-android-memory-issues/11207/9
>
> Judging by the comments on the forum, including
>
>   https://discuss.circleci.com/t/environment-variable-interpolation-throughout-circleci-config-yml/16300
>
> expanding environment variables in config files is planned for
> CircleCI 2.0, but not yet implemented. Hence, we could just punt on
> this for now and document that people who for the CircleCI config need
> to ask to get xlarge enabled (unless they have a paid account anyway).

Yes, I'm not considering this a high priority issue. I've opened #14470
to track it.

>> Indeed. CircleCI support replied to my request this morning.
>> Unfortunately they haven't yet offered a solution. I'll continue to
>> update you all as the ticket advances.
>
> What did they reply? Just acknowledged the problem?

They claimed that the build had failed citing the log. Specifically he said,

> Your request (26406) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.
>
> Joseph Becher, Nov 15, 07:52 PST
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> I'm not seeing that it gets to the artifact upload step. It looks like
> the build is failing with a number of missing files, you can view the
> full log for that build here
> https://circleci.com/api/v1.1/project/github/ghc/ghc/269/output/106/0

I can only imagine that he saw the Haddock warnings and concluded that
they were fatal. I replied asking for clarification.

>> On another note, what is the status of Appveyor? Has anyone started on
>> this? If not I may try bringing over Hadrian’s Appveyor configuration.
>
> Mateusz had a first stab

Great!

>   https://github.com/tweag/ghc/blob/tweag/circleci-macos/appveyor.yml
>
> but got stuck in the default resource limits. We emailed them with a
> request, but there was no answer so far. I’ll follow up on it.
>
> What does Hadrian do? Do they use default resource limits?

That is a good question. I've asked him. I'll let you know when I hear
back.

Cheers,

- Ben