[GHC DevOps Group] CircleCI job accounting question

Manuel M T Chakravarty manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io
Wed Nov 15 23:01:23 UTC 2017

> Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com>:
>
> Manuel M T Chakravarty <manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io> writes:
>
>>> Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com>:
>>>
>>> Really we ought to just determine the CPU count dynamically. This is
>>> what the validate script does. Unfortunately it seems the CircleCI does
>>> not provide an environment variable with this information and variables
>>> defined the YAML environment section aren't interpolated, so doing so
>>> will be a bit messy.
>>
>> Yes, is annoying. On the other hand, you’d think, we are not the only people having this problem.
>>
> Indeed we aren't; for instance, see [1] and [2].
>
> [1] https://discuss.circleci.com/t/how-to-add-a-path-to-path-in-circle-2-0/11554
> [2] https://discuss.circleci.com/t/circle-ci-v2-and-android-memory-issues/11207/9 <https://discuss.circleci.com/t/circle-ci-v2-and-android-memory-issues/11207/9>

Judging by the comments on the forum, including

  https://discuss.circleci.com/t/environment-variable-interpolation-throughout-circleci-config-yml/16300 <https://discuss.circleci.com/t/environment-variable-interpolation-throughout-circleci-config-yml/16300>

expanding environment variables in config files is planned for CircleCI 2.0, but not yet implemented. Hence, we could just punt on this for now and document that people who for the CircleCI config need to ask to get xlarge enabled (unless they have a paid account anyway).

>>> Yes, this is a different issue from the one we were seeing earlier. I
>>> believe Mateusz has also opened a ticket about it.
>>
>> I am just looking at the CircleCI page while ”ghc / ghc / master #289” as it is running. It all works nicely, but now it is somehow hanging in the ”Uploading artefacts” step for already more than 22min. Interestingly, it does report
>>
>> Uploading /tmp/artifacts to tmp/artifacts
>> Uploaded /tmp/artifacts/ghc-8.3.20171114-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.xz
>>
>> which suggests that it is actually finished with uploading. It just doesn’t realise that it is done…
>>
> Indeed. CircleCI support replied to my request this morning.
> Unfortunately they haven't yet offered a solution. I'll continue to
> update you all as the ticket advances.

What did they reply? Just acknowledged the problem?

> On another note, what is the status of Appveyor? Has anyone started on
> this? If not I may try bringing over Hadrian’s Appveyor configuration.

Mateusz had a first stab

  https://github.com/tweag/ghc/blob/tweag/circleci-macos/appveyor.yml <https://github.com/tweag/ghc/blob/tweag/circleci-macos/appveyor.yml>

but got stuck in the default resource limits. We emailed them with a request, but there was no answer so far. I’ll follow up on it.

What does Hadrian do? Do they use default resource limits?

Cheers,
Manuel