[GHC DevOps Group] CircleCI job accounting question

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Wed Nov 15 20:42:40 UTC 2017

Manuel M T Chakravarty <manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io> writes:

>> Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com>:
>>
>> Really we ought to just determine the CPU count dynamically. This is
>> what the validate script does. Unfortunately it seems the CircleCI does
>> not provide an environment variable with this information and variables
>> defined the YAML environment section aren't interpolated, so doing so
>> will be a bit messy.
>
> Yes, is annoying. On the other hand, you’d think, we are not the only people having this problem.

Indeed we aren't; for instance, see [1] and [2].

[1] https://discuss.circleci.com/t/how-to-add-a-path-to-path-in-circle-2-0/11554
[2] https://discuss.circleci.com/t/circle-ci-v2-and-android-memory-issues/11207/9

>> Yes, this is a different issue from the one we were seeing earlier. I
>> believe Mateusz has also opened a ticket about it.
>
> I am just looking at the CircleCI page while ”ghc / ghc / master #289” as it is running. It all works nicely, but now it is somehow hanging in the ”Uploading artefacts” step for already more than 22min. Interestingly, it does report
>
> Uploading /tmp/artifacts to tmp/artifacts
> Uploaded /tmp/artifacts/ghc-8.3.20171114-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.xz
>
> which suggests that it is actually finished with uploading. It just doesn’t realise that it is done…

Indeed. CircleCI support replied to my request this morning.
Unfortunately they haven't yet offered a solution. I'll continue to
update you all as the ticket advances.

On another note, what is the status of Appveyor? Has anyone started on
this? If not I may try bringing over Hadrian's Appveyor configuration.

Cheers,

- Ben