[GHC DevOps Group] CircleCI job accounting question

Manuel M T Chakravarty manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io
Wed Nov 15 00:09:14 UTC 2017

> Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com>:
>
> Manuel M T Chakravarty <manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io> writes:
>
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> Firstly re
>>
>>  https://github.com/ghc/ghc/commit/5f158bc1a7eedf8680f4a1e612ca34daa05e0029 <https://github.com/ghc/ghc/commit/5f158bc1a7eedf8680f4a1e612ca34daa05e0029>
>>
>> CircleCI seems to now use an 8CPU (xlarge) instance to run the GHC
>> builds. This is after Jonas asked them to activate it. You can see
>> that, e.g., by looking at the ”Resource” value on the last few
>> <https://circleci.com/gh/ghc <https://circleci.com/gh/ghc>> builds.
>>
> Really we ought to just determine the CPU count dynamically. This is
> what the validate script does. Unfortunately it seems the CircleCI does
> not provide an environment variable with this information and variables
> defined the YAML environment section aren't interpolated, so doing so
> will be a bit messy.

Yes, is annoying. On the other hand, you’d think, we are not the only people having this problem.

>> However, re your question to Jonas,
>>
>>> Will all users who test using their fork need to ask for this
>>> to be enabled?
>>
>> Yes, my understanding is that individual GitHub accounts forking GHC
>> who want the additional resources (for xlarge and for macOS) will have
>> to individually request the additional resources from CircleCI. That
>> is the ”price” for it not to be charged against the same account. (We
>> need to document that.)
>>
>> Re Darwin, isn’t that a different issue now? I just looked at the last
>> Darwin build ”ghc / ghc / master #272” and the build seems to be fine,
>> but it chokes on uploading the build artefacts.
>>
> Yes, this is a different issue from the one we were seeing earlier. I
> believe Mateusz has also opened a ticket about it.

I am just looking at the CircleCI page while ”ghc / ghc / master #289” as it is running. It all works nicely, but now it is somehow hanging in the ”Uploading artefacts” step for already more than 22min. Interestingly, it does report

Uploading /tmp/artifacts to tmp/artifacts
Uploaded /tmp/artifacts/ghc-8.3.20171114-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.xz

which suggests that it is actually finished with uploading. It just doesn’t realise that it is done…

>> Mateusz, what do you think?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Manuel
>>
>> PS: If one of the Tweag’ers could be added to the GitHub GHC org, we
>> could take care of things like activating xlarge more easily…
>>
> You should find an invitation in your inbox.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Manuel