[GHC DevOps Group] CircleCI job accounting question

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Mon Nov 13 03:23:34 UTC 2017

Manuel M T Chakravarty <manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Firstly re
>
>   https://github.com/ghc/ghc/commit/5f158bc1a7eedf8680f4a1e612ca34daa05e0029 <https://github.com/ghc/ghc/commit/5f158bc1a7eedf8680f4a1e612ca34daa05e0029>
>
> CircleCI seems to now use an 8CPU (xlarge) instance to run the GHC
> builds. This is after Jonas asked them to activate it. You can see
> that, e.g., by looking at the ”Resource” value on the last few
> <https://circleci.com/gh/ghc <https://circleci.com/gh/ghc>> builds.

Really we ought to just determine the CPU count dynamically. This is
what the validate script does. Unfortunately it seems the CircleCI does
not provide an environment variable with this information and variables
defined the YAML environment section aren't interpolated, so doing so
will be a bit messy.

> Secondly, I am not sure what is happening with your fork, but forks
> cannot all count against the main repo. For example, Tweag’s GHC fork
> has been running for a long time independently and also has already
> been using the xlarge instances (which weren’t even enabled for the
> main GHC repo).

Very odd. I'll admit I'm quite flummoxed.

> However, re your question to Jonas,
>
>> Will all users who test using their fork need to ask for this
>> to be enabled?
>
> Yes, my understanding is that individual GitHub accounts forking GHC
> who want the additional resources (for xlarge and for macOS) will have
> to individually request the additional resources from CircleCI. That
> is the ”price” for it not to be charged against the same account. (We
> need to document that.)
>
> Re Darwin, isn’t that a different issue now? I just looked at the last
> Darwin build ”ghc / ghc / master #272” and the build seems to be fine,
> but it chokes on uploading the build artefacts.

Yes, this is a different issue from the one we were seeing earlier. I
believe Mateusz has also opened a ticket about it.

> Mateusz, what do you think?
>
> Cheers,
> Manuel
>
> PS: If one of the Tweag’ers could be added to the GitHub GHC org, we
> could take care of things like activating xlarge more easily…

You should find an invitation in your inbox.

Cheers,

- Ben