[GHC DevOps Group] CircleCI job accounting question

Manuel M T Chakravarty manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io
Mon Nov 13 02:22:25 UTC 2017

Hi Ben,

Firstly re

  https://github.com/ghc/ghc/commit/5f158bc1a7eedf8680f4a1e612ca34daa05e0029 <https://github.com/ghc/ghc/commit/5f158bc1a7eedf8680f4a1e612ca34daa05e0029>

CircleCI seems to now use an 8CPU (xlarge) instance to run the GHC builds. This is after Jonas asked them to activate it. You can see that, e.g., by looking at the ”Resource” value on the last few <https://circleci.com/gh/ghc <https://circleci.com/gh/ghc>> builds.

Secondly, I am not sure what is happening with your fork, but forks cannot all count against the main repo. For example, Tweag’s GHC fork has been running for a long time independently and also has already been using the xlarge instances (which weren’t even enabled for the main GHC repo).

However, re your question to Jonas,

> Will all users who test using their fork need to ask for this
> to be enabled?

Yes, my understanding is that individual GitHub accounts forking GHC who want the additional resources (for xlarge and for macOS) will have to individually request the additional resources from CircleCI. That is the ”price” for it not to be charged against the same account. (We need to document that.)

Re Darwin, isn’t that a different issue now? I just looked at the last Darwin build ”ghc / ghc / master #272” and the build seems to be fine, but it chokes on uploading the build artefacts.

Mateusz, what do you think?

Cheers,
Manuel

PS: If one of the Tweag’ers could be added to the GitHub GHC org, we could take care of things like activating xlarge more easily…