[GHC DevOps Group] CircleCI job accounting question

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Nov 16 04:12:37 UTC 2017

Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> writes:

> Manuel M T Chakravarty <manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io> writes:
>>
>> but got stuck in the default resource limits. We emailed them with a
>> request, but there was no answer so far. I’ll follow up on it.
>>
>> What does Hadrian do? Do they use default resource limits?
>>
> That is a good question. I've asked him. I'll let you know when I hear
> back.

Indeed Andrey says that they are using the default resource limits (1
hour execution time). That being said, it looks like they barely fit
(with most builds taking around 50 minutes) and they are using the
`quickest` build flavor without running the testsuite.

I just checked and on my four-core VM a full Windows validate takes
around 1.75 hours. It seems like Appveyor typically [1] offers
open-source projects up to 1.5 hours upon request. That being said, Rust
has apparently worked out something as their builds [2] are typically a
bit longer than 2 hours. I know for a fact that they pay for Travis, so
they likely pay for Appveyor as well.

It appears that Appveyor runs builds [3] on 2 vCPU instances so we might
need to scale my four-core time measurement up a bit (although almost
certainly not by a factor of two)

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://github.com/appveyor/ci/issues/517