[Haskell-beginners] Linux install walkthrough

Stephen Blackheath [to Haskell-Beginners] mutilating.cauliflowers.stephen at blacksapphire.com
Wed Feb 17 17:14:58 EST 2010

Adrian,

The Haskell Platform is still relatively new, and therefore binary
support is not so good for Linux yet.  But you don't actually lose much
from what the Platform would give you if you use the GHC 6.10 binary
releases from http://haskell.org/ghc/  The fact that this old-fashioned
way works so well has also slowed adoption of the Platform on Linux.

This worked nicely for me on Ubuntu before the Haskell Platform existed.
 Once GHC is installed, you then install cabal-install by hand using its
bootstrap script.  Add $HOME/.cabal/bin/ to your PATH, and then you can
install any package easily with the 'cabal install' command.  There is
no essential difference between this setup and the Platform, except you
start with fewer packages.

Give that a try - You should find it works without fuss.  I suggest you
use 6.10 (not 6.12) as it's the most stable at present.  There are two
Linux binary variants - depending on what libraries are present on your
system (one RedHat flavoured and one Debian flavoured).  This is
explained on the download page.

Steve