[Yhc] build/version.py and darcs dist

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 08:46:36 EST 2008

Dimitry,

I certainly don't know Python! The version.py sets the version, but
should set unversioned unless it is doing a buildbot build - on the
basis that a buildbot build is a "releaseable" version, but all others
are custom made. A simple 'file exists' check before reading the
inventory and a default of 1 (or something) would be fine.

>  It looks like the way Yhc version is determined prevents usage of
>  tarballs created by darcs dist.
>
>  In the file "version.py" there is a line count of the "inventory" file
>  to count number of patches and thus determine the version of Yhc.
>
>  Thus, if buiding from a dist tarball, _darcs is not there, nor is
>  inventory, and scons build fails.
>
>  OTOH I never really saw Yhc printing its version: it always says (unversioned).
>
>  So is there any need to keep this logic in version.py, or maybe it
>  might be at least conditional upon the presence of the inventory file.
>
>  Thanks.
>
>  PS I hope someone maintaining the python part could fix this quickly.
>  Otherwise I'll try to take care of it myself, but I am not a python
>  expert.

Ah, maintainers for the build system, how I long for those days!