[Yhc] ByteString

Creighton Hogg wchogg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 09:13:19 EDT 2007

On 6/19/07, Thomas Shackell <shackell at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:

> Creighton Hogg wrote:
> > Well I think I've run into this problem...maybe.  All but one of the
> > tests pass, the one that doesn't is the timeLargeArray test, and it
> > fails with this error
> > yhc: superclassesI InfoUsed (Id 68) [(Type
> > class,Ord,"Data.Ix",510:8-510:10)]
> > Now my main question is how some PackedStrings can be reversed and
> > others not when it looks like everything that uses PackedString imports
> > it from SysDeps?  The only exception I could find was
> > compiler98/DotNet/Show.hs.
>

> Hmmm that's interesting, did you change the compiler source code at all?
> You usually get those kind of errors because the compiler has ended up
> with a data structure that it wasn't expecting.
>
> Indeed all PackedStrings are imported from SysDeps, the problem is what
> happens after that. Sometimes they are used as
>
>            string' = packString string
>
> and other times
>
>           string' = packString (reverse string)
>
> There doesn't seem to be a lot of logic to the choices ...

Yeah in line with Neal's suggestion, I had added a FakeString module that
was imported by SysDeps as PackedString and just provided
unpackPS = id
and
packString = id
I had done something silly where that first one didn't build properly, but
now that that's fixed I'm getting errors I don't really understand on 5 of
the tests.  I'll probably look at them tonight & ask questions about how
chunks of the code work.

I'm sorry that I had misunderstood the reversing thing.  I had thought you
meant that there were two different versions of PackedString, one of which
required that trick and the other didn't, analogous to the four versions of
ByteString.  I guess I'm really confused then why you'd be reversing the
strings in the first place.

I'm appreciative of the help,
Creighton