[Yhc] ByteString

Thomas Shackell shackell at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Jun 19 08:37:16 EDT 2007

Creighton Hogg wrote:
> Well I think I've run into this problem...maybe.  All but one of the
> tests pass, the one that doesn't is the timeLargeArray test, and it
> fails with this error
> yhc: superclassesI InfoUsed (Id 68) [(Type
> class,Ord,"Data.Ix",510:8-510:10)]
> Now my main question is how some PackedStrings can be reversed and
> others not when it looks like everything that uses PackedString imports
> it from SysDeps?  The only exception I could find was
> compiler98/DotNet/Show.hs.

Hmmm that's interesting, did you change the compiler source code at all?
You usually get those kind of errors because the compiler has ended up
with a data structure that it wasn't expecting.

Indeed all PackedStrings are imported from SysDeps, the problem is what
happens after that. Sometimes they are used as

           string' = packString string

and other times

	  string' = packString (reverse string)

There doesn't seem to be a lot of logic to the choices ...

Cheers

Tom