[Yhc] At risk of being Noob

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 06:52:50 EDT 2007

Hi

> so I was trying those first trivial changes to move from PackedString to
> String, but one of the tests failed.  I wanted to look at exactly what
> happened, so I tried running YHC directly but I got
> yhc: /home/wchogg/yhc/inst/bin/lib/yhc/packages:
> getDirectoryContents: does not exist (No such file or directory)
> as an error, which I presume is because I hadn't set YHC_PACKAGE_PATH.

You can either set YHC_BASE_PATH to something so that
"%YHC_BASE_PATH%/bin/yhc" will run Yhc, typically the location of the
inst folder if you are running from the source tree. Alternatively,
you can add your yhc executable to the Path, and Yhc will find the
other bits automatically.

> Except that all it says on the wiki about where to point it is that there
> should be an example.  So what exactly do I need to do?

I can't even find this on the wiki! Can you point me at the exact wiki
page, then I'll fix it.

PS. There are no Noob questions, only bad and confusing designs (like
having an environment variable to tell you where the compiler is!)