[Yhc] Problems installing YHC on Windows XP

Bryan Burgers bryan.burgers at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 17:22:58 EST 2007

Hello,

I'm interested in fiddling with YHC, maybe helping out from time to
time whenever I get free time, so I tried to install it from darcs
today. Everything went well (got the source from darcs, downloaded
SCons) until I did the configure script (error below). The scons
output tells me that it can't find a C compiler. I have one on this
computer via MinGW (which has executables named "gcc.exe" and
"cpp.exe"). Not knowing SCons, I still took a shot in the dark at the
configure script, changing the 'env' line to:
env = Environment(ENV=os.environ, CPPPATH=["#.", "C:\\MinGW\\bin\\"])
but that didn't work, either.

Should I go with an entirely different compiler? I don't remember why
I installed that one, but I'm not sure I even used it, so I'm not even
sure if it works.

I guess I'm mostly appealing to the last line of the output below, "If
so then please contact the Yhc developers for help." (smile)

Any help would be appreciated!

Bryan Burgers

D:\My Documents\My Programs\Languages\Haskell\YHC\yhc>"C:\Program
Files\Scons\Scons.py" core=2
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Building version 0.7.0-20070224211823-custom.
Checking for architecture... Windows implies x86
Checking for operating system... win32
Checking for Subversion binary... Not found
Error. 'svn' not found in PATH. Will use ctypes snapshot.
Checking for GHC binary... "ghc"
Checking for GHC version 6.4.1 or later... Found version 6.4.2.
Checking for Python version 2.3 or later... Found version 2.4.3 final (0).
Checking for Scons binary... Not found
Checking for Darcs binary... "darcs"
Checking for Darcs version... Found version 1.0.7 (release).
Checking for Haddock binary... Not found
Error. Haddock not found, you won't be able to build the documentation.
Checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... failed
Checking size of char... failed
Checking size of short... failed
Checking size of int... failed
Checking size of long... failed
Checking size of long long... failed
Checking size of float... failed
Checking size of double... failed
Checking size of void*... failed
Failed to check types sizes/endianness. You do have a working C
compiler don't you?
If so then please contact the Yhc developers for help.