[Yhc] examining yhc bytecode

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 30 13:44:22 EDT 2006

On Saturday 30 September 2006 12:08, Kartik Vaddadi wrote:
> Robert Dockins wrote:
> > Can you give some more details about the problem?  Can you provide a
> > small hbc file that causes the problem for you?
>
> OS: Windows XP SP2
> architecture: x64 (in x86 compatibility mode)
> I'm using the pre-built version of yhc; I didn't build it myself. The
> minor version of the hbc file is 0x0A.

Ah.  Well, this is the problem.  The bytecode library expects exactly version
1.9 of the bytecode set.  As far as I was aware, that was the latest version.

Has the bytecode set been version bumped recently? It is to do with x64? I've
been busy with other things recently and haven't been following Yhc
development as closely as I'd like.

> test.hs:
> > main = print (3 + f 2)
> > f x = x
>
> G:\projects\debugger>yhc test.hs
>
> Compiling Main             ( test.hs )
>
> inspect.hs:
> > import Yhc.Bytecode.Version_1_9
> >
> > main =
> >     (readFile "g:\\projects\\debugger\\Main.hbc") >>=
> > readLogicalModule >>= print

That looks about right.

> G:\projects\debugger\yhc-bytecode-0.2-source\src\Yhc\Bytecode>yhc
> inspect.hs
>
> Compiling Main             ( inspect.hs )
>
> G:\projects\debugger\yhc-bytecode-0.2-source\src\Yhc\Bytecode>yhi Main.hbc
>
> Bad version
>
> I've attached the hbc file which could not be disassembled.
> I'm sorry if I did something stupid, and for not reporting this directly
> to Robert.

No problem.  This is as good a list as any to discuss bugs in this library,
since I don't have a separate project space for it.  And thanks for this bug
report.  I'll see what I can do about getting this fixed.

--
Rob Dockins

Talk softly and drive a Sherman tank.
Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank.
       -- TMBG