[Yhc] examining yhc bytecode

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 18:33:22 EDT 2006

Hi

> The bootstrap .hbc files in the Yhc distribution have minor version 9 and the
> versions generated by the compiler have minor version 10.

Do we still need the bootstrap .hbc files? Isn't this just a hangover
from before we could really build Yhc libraries properly on all
platforms?

> Does anyone happen to know what the differences between versions 9 and 10 are?
> What version does the data sheet
> at 'src/compiler98/Bytecode/data/bytecode.xml' describe?

I suspect its version 10, but don't really know. I guess the best way
to find the differences are to look at the C code that reads the
bytecodes, it can't be too different between the two give that it
translates between them at runtime. I suspect its only additions of
new bytecodes.