[Yhc] examining yhc bytecode

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 14 16:11:23 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 04 October 2006 04:37, Tom Shackell wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 22:52 +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> > Hi

> > > Tom, Neil?  Any word on this?
>
> It's very likely, from time to time it becomes necessary to add extra
> information to the bytecode. I'm not sure what it was for though ...
> though nothing to do with x64 certainly ...

Hummm... so apparently, the problem here is that I am an idiot.  :(

The bootstrap .hbc files in the Yhc distribution have minor version 9 and the
versions generated by the compiler have minor version 10.  I never noticed
because I was using the API to generate bytecode more than to read it, and
the runtime accepted my files with minor ver 9.  I clearly did all my initial
read testing agains the 'bootstrap' versions of the Yhc libraries.

Ugh.

The darcs history shows me that the minor version of the bytecode has been 10
since Yhc was under darcs control, so that's clearly the correct version
number.

Does anyone happen to know what the differences between versions 9 and 10 are?
What version does the data sheet
at 'src/compiler98/Bytecode/data/bytecode.xml' describe?

--
Rob Dockins

Talk softly and drive a Sherman tank.
Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank.
       -- TMBG