[xmonad] Broken Xmonad after updates

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 19:10:23 UTC 2023

In XDG mode, per the XDG spec executables are not to be stored in config
file locations. Since it can be regenerated from `xmonad.hs` when needed,
it belongs under `.cache`. In legacy mode (~/.xmonad) the executable is
kept next to the `xmonad.hs` file.

Your description of running `startx` seems a bit confused to me. Did you
run it in the background and then try to run xmonad? This won't work
because `startx` can't alter the environment variables of the running
shell, so `$DISPLAY` won't be set. You need to run xmonad within the client
environment: `startx ~/.cache/xmonad/xmonad-x86_64-linux` (it has to be a
full pathname; see the `startx` documentation).

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh
allbery.b at gmail.com