[xmonad] Broken Xmonad after updates

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 15:08:41 UTC 2023

Essentially yes. Arch and derivatives insist on using dynamic linking, and
you must rebuild your config after every system update to ensure it still
works. We strongly recommend you use `stack` or `cabal` instead, and
install `xmonad` and `xmonad-contrib` from Hackage. If you choose not to do
so, see
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xmonad#Problems_with_finding_shared_libraries_after_update

On Thu, Oct 19, 2023 at 11:04 AM Jan Detke <jandetke at outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> today I moved my xmonad.hs config from $HOME/.xmonad to
> $HOME/.config/xmonad. After that I was unable to recompile xmonad. I then
> moved it back into $HOME/.xmonad but the issue was still persistent. It was
> unable to load the libraries even though I had not changed them at all.
>
> After rebooting and updating the system I tried recompiling again with the
> following result:
>
> xmonad --recompile --verbose
> XMonad is recompiling and replacing itself with another XMonad process
> because the current process is called "xmonad" but the compiled
> configuration should be called "xmonad-x86_64-linux"
> XMonad will use ghc to recompile, because neither
> "/home/jan/.xmonad/build" nor "/home/jan/.xmonad/stack.yaml" exists.
> XMonad skipping recompile because it is not forced (e.g. via --recompile),
> and neither xmonad.hs nor any *.hs / *.lhs / *.hsc files in lib/ have been
> changed.
> /home/jan/.xmonad/xmonad-x86_64-linux: error while loading shared
> libraries: libHSxmonad-contrib-0.17.1-2BxpGTW6opKG3sVOzMilq0-ghc9.0.2.so:
>
> So far I have read this issue https://github.com/xmonad/xmonad/issues/301.
> I am wondering if this is the only option for me here too.
>
> I installed Xmonad via pacman.
>
> Best regards
> Jan

brandon s allbery kf8nh