[xmonad] Same stuff new day

Tony Zorman soliditsallgood at mailbox.org
Fri Apr 8 17:01:08 UTC 2022

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 08 2022 10:56, Michael Needham wrote:
> I don't quite get why it is not working, but in xmobarrc I am using ",
> RUN StdinReader" (and have tried the UnsafeStdinReader variation as
> well) and this causes xmobar not to run at startup again.  If I start
> xmobar from the terminal it runs and does not error.  in my xmobar.hs
> it is called via xproc inside my main do block.

You are calling spawnPipe in you startup hook

    > myStartupHook :: X ()
    > myStartupHook = do
    >   xproc <- spawnPipe ("xmobar -x 0")
    >   […]

but you never do anything with that pipe; e.g., normally you would feed
information about the workspaces to xmobar.  Note that, in particular,
this

> in my xmobar.hs it is called via xproc inside my main do block.

is not quite right.  xproc is simply a name you give to the handle
returned by spawnPipe.

Whether you want to use pipes or not, I would suggest going through the
tutorial[1] to learn how to correctly set up xmobar.  It also tells you
a little bit about Haskell, which may be useful when you have to debug
something again in the future.

  Tony

[1]: https://xmonad.org/TUTORIAL.html