[xmonad] xmonad becomes inoperable in random situations

Björn Kessler bjoern.lindig at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 11:35:19 UTC 2021

Hi there,

I'm new to the list and poppin in with a question. But before getting to
that, I would like to send out a big "thank you" to the community, that is
providing this greatest windowmanager ever! I'm using it since more than 5
years now and never had an issue...

... up to now: My xmonad is freezing again and again and I don't really
know how to figure out what causes the issue. It happens when I use
programs like musescore or radium. I don't know, maybe because they put
heavy load on graphics or something!? Anyway, when it happens, some
functionalities of the program stay functional, but changing the screen in
xmonad or starting new programms via dmenu is impossible then.

I'm on archlinux and xmonad.errors doesn't show anything, as far as I can
see. I'm using xorg and I'm launching it with startx from the command
prompt.

In my Xorg.0.log I get the following error:

> [  6588.014] (EE) event6  - LITE-ON Technology USB NetVista Full Width
Keyboard.: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 13ms, your system
is too slow

The slowest device in my setup is the harddrive. I now it needs replacement
soon. Can it be, that X freezes because of a slow harddrive?

I'm also using a rotated monitor. Can it be that the issue is concerned
with the portrait view?

Here is my script that I use to do the rotation
> xrandr --output VGA-1 --off --output DP-1 --off --output  HDMI-1 --off
--output DP-2 --mode 1680x1050 --pos 0x0  --rotate left --output HDMI-2
--off

If someone is having any idea on how to narrow this down, I'd be very
thankfull. Even only to figure out whether it is concerned with xmonad or
not, would help a lot. I'm suspecting xmonad, because after killing it and
restarting X everything works fine again, but I know that by killing xmonad
I'm also stopping a whole lot of other processes too...

With kind regards,

Bjroern