[xmonad] Refresh display, adapting to monitor resolution

alexandre medeiros alexandre.n.medeiros at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 14:55:11 UTC 2020

Hi friend,

I have a similar setup, at home I have a single monitor and use the laptop
screen and the monitor and at work I have two monitors and don't use the
laptop screen. I don't use XMonad itself to change the resolution, I use a
program called autorandr <https://github.com/phillipberndt/autorandr>, all
you need to do is configure your resolution with xrandr and then save the
profile with autorandr and it automatically detects the displays and the
profile you saved for them. XMonad automatically adapts to this, changing
the resolution and moving xmobar to the primary display.

Hope this helps you!

Best Regards,

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 6:20 AM Jean-Baptiste Mestelan <mestelan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to have XMonad adapt the display to the resolution of the
> plugged monitor(s)?
> My problem is: at home, I have the laptop attached to one monitor. I
> suspend the session (systemctl hibernate), and resume it at work where I
> use a higher-resolution monitor. The display remains as it was set when
> starting the X session. The only way I have found to have the new monitor
> settings detected is to restart the X session (slim restart), which
> obviously kills user programs. So the question is: is there a command I can
> run to have the display adapt to the capabilities of the current monitor?
>
> Thanks for attention.

Alexandre Medeiros
Software Engineer @ Nubank
BSc Computer Science - University of Campinas