[xmonad] CopyQ clipboard manager: misbehaving window?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 12:28:01 UTC 2019

I can't currently install or experiment with it (maybe in a day or so), but
it would help if you could report the output of xwininfo and xprop on this
window. Both programs let you click on a window to select it, so even if
the program is badly behaved you can run them with a "sleep" to pop up the
window during the sleep period and then wait for the cursor to change to a
crosshair.

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 6:04 PM Jean-Baptiste Mestelan <mestelan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been struggling to integrate the CopyQ clipboard manager into my
> configuration, because its main window cannot be closed: killing the window
> has no effect, and in the context of a scratchpad, the toggle does not work
> (the window appears but does not disappear).
> Minimizing the window does work; but then, it can only be maximized from
> the same workspace, which is not ideal for this use case.
>
> I have come up with a so-so solution: summon the window from a named
> scratchpad, and get rid of it by sending it to a NSP workspace:
>
> *("M-a",                     shiftTo Next (WSIs nsp))*
> *...*
> *where nsp = return $ ("NSP" ==) . W.tag*
> But it is cumbersome to have to manipulate two distinct keybindings (plus
> the latter might send an innocent window into a void).
>
> Is there an obvious solution that I am missing?
>
> PS: to be clear, I am only speaking about the window displayed by the
> CopyQ command `*copyq toggle*` (or `*copyq show*`). The smaller floating
> window displayed by the CopyQ command `*copyq menu*` does not have this
> issue; but is is also limited in functionalities and history length.
>
> PPS: I guess an improvement would be to integrate the above `*shiftTo*`
> function into a custom kill function, which would have two cases, depending
> of the name of the window. I do not know how to write this however, and
> would appreciate any pointers or suggestions.
>
> Thank you for attention.

brandon s allbery kf8nh
allbery.b at gmail.com