[xmonad] auto start apps on login, but not reloads

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 19:53:11 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Sam Halliday <sam.halliday at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Brandon!
>
> I've updated my config
>
>   https://github.com/fommil/dotfiles/blob/master/xmonad/xmonad.hs
>
> and now my three apps startup on the correct workspaces! No apparent
> issues with chromium.
>
> Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to have fixed the --reload problem, so
> I guess args is always coming up non-null?

Hm? Did it restart them inappropriately, or did it not start them at all?

The recent changes to use a state file are buggy and cause some rather
bizarre problems. But there's also the question of compatibility with older
versions; I was reassured that the change *is* backward compatible, but if
you aren't seeing parameters from a restart then either that or some other
change is not backward compatible. (I've already had to rewire this once
because of an unannounced non-backward-compatible change leading up to
0.12. I am not a fan of "move fast, break stuff" especially if the only way
I can find out about it is to audit every single commit.)