[xmonad] ManageDocks issue

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 17:08:50 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Tim DuBois <tim at neophilus.net> wrote:

> I haven't altered my configuration for almost a year now, but recently
> my layouts have not been respecting my dzen bar.

Two issues:

1. if you have upgraded xmonad past 0.11, you need more hooks for docks to
work right. Consider switching from manual hook management to
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/xmonad-contrib-0.13/docs/XMonad-Hooks-ManageDocks.html#v:docks
(which will also protect you from future additions/changes).

2. For reasons currently unknown, ManageDocks is ignoring struts on windows
that are not marked as EWMH dock windows. dzen doesn't mark itself as a
dock by default; you must pass the `-dock' parameter to it.