[xmonad] Catching exceptions from getWindowAttributes

Adam Sjøgren asjo at koldfront.dk
Tue Sep 13 05:00:51 UTC 2016

Brandon writes:

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Daniel Wagner <dmwit at dmwit.com> wrote:

>> I suppose the question that this error is asking you is: when
>> `getWindowAttributes` throws an error, how should `floatLocation`
>> respond?

Yeah, and I don't really know enough to answer that question either. I
guess something is really wrong with the window, and XMonad should give
up?

> I am not sure I understand wjy getWindowAttributes would throw an
> exception except for "window removed",

That could very well be it, I usually see the exceptions from
getWindowAttributes in floatLocation when Gimp opens windows that
display some kind of progress and quickly closes them again.

> and for most of those you probably want to be aborting the hook in
> question. So, make sure it's always under control of userCode; this
> would include moving the one in X.O.manage into a userCode, but that
> would probably be smart anyway since I think we crash currently if the
> new window we want to manage goes away before we can. Or both its uses
> (one to manage initial windows at startup and one in response to
> MapRequestEvent).

Yes. Uhm. Ah. I haven't got the foggiest of how to do any of that.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Good evening. Today is Good Friday. There is no news."      Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo at koldfront.dk