[xmonad] Can avoidStruts stop working?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 15:17:12 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Jean-Philippe Braun <eon at patapon.info>
wrote:

> Same issue here. After I reset the layout it's working fine. I'm using
> xmobar.
>
> Le mercredi 02 mars 2016 à 09:25:39 (-0500), Dave Macias a écrit :
> > I have a similar issue but when i startup xmonad for the first time. All
> > do is reset the layout on all visible workspaces (mod-shift-space).
> Havent
> > figured how to fix it. Using dzen as my status bars.
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Tuncer Ayaz <tuncer.ayaz at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Does anybody else run XMonad on Arch Linux AMD64 (non-testing)? Since
> > > about a week (and a half) ago something seems to have caused
> > > avoidStruts to be ignored, because xmobar is covered by any window I
> > > open. I've tried unsuccessfully with my full config and the recently
> > > suggested new sample config here on the list[1]. Any idea what's
> > > happening? It's possibly an operator issue, but I don't know how to
> > > debug it.
> > >
> > > [1]
> https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2015-December/014977.html

If you're running xmonad 0.12, you might want to either downgrade to 0.11
or remove your current xmonad + xmonad-contrib and reinstall both from git
master. 0.12 introduced strut caching, but had a bug that caused it to
cache the nonexistence of struts at startup time and not notice them being
added later when the dock is (un)managed.