[xmonad] kill -STOP/-CONT hack

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 22:53:41 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Adam Sjøgren <asjo at koldfront.dk> wrote:

> The documentation is confusing to me - some places '|||' is used to
> combine things, other places it isn't.
>

||| separates layouts. Layouts are complete in and of themselves.

Other things are layout modifiers. As the name suggests, they modify other
layouts; the layout to be modified is a parameter, and there may be other
parameters which may also be workspaces.

Maybe this will be clearer:

    Full -- this is a layout, it can stand by itself or be modified
    smartBorders Full -- this is a layout modifier applied to a layout
    smartBorders -- this is an error, because it is not applied to a
layout. "It is a purple." -- a purple *what*?
    smartBorders ||| Full -- this is an error because you are saying
"either use smartBorders or use Full". But smartBorders is not a layout

       , layoutHook = avoidStruts $ layoutHook defaultConfig |||
> modWorkspace "3" stoppable (layoutHook defaultConfig)
>
> which doesn't seem to work, as the browser running on workspace 3 (mod-3
> takes me there), keeps using 5-8% CPU according to top when another
> workspace is active.

I hate their example because it is not clear that it has all the layouts in
defaultConfig twice and only the second list has the stop behavior. You
need to mod-space 3 times to get to a stoppable layout.

If you want stoppable to always be active on workspace 3:

    layoutHook = avoidStruts $ modWorkspace "3" stoppable $ layoutHook
defaultConfig

(I find it interesting that you were able to figure out that modWorkspace
applies only to layout modifiers as opposed to layouts, but you couldn't
recognize that (|||) only works with layouts, not layout modifiers.)