[xmonad] kill -STOP/-CONT hack

Adam Sjøgren asjo at koldfront.dk
Sun Jun 12 21:02:13 UTC 2016

Brandon writes:

> For workspaces, consider XMonad.Layout.PerWorkspace.

Thanks for the tip.

The documentation is confusing to me - some places '|||' is used to
combine things, other places it isn't.

Anyway, this is what I tried first:

       , layoutHook = avoidStruts $ layoutHook defaultConfig ||| modWorkspace "3" stoppable (layoutHook defaultConfig)

which doesn't seem to work, as the browser running on workspace 3 (mod-3
takes me there), keeps using 5-8% CPU according to top when another
workspace is active.

Taking the example from the XMonad.Layout.Stoppable directly:

       , layoutHook = layoutHook defaultConfig ||| stoppable (layoutHook defaultConfig)

doesn't stop the programs on the other workspaces either, so I guess
I've misunderstood something fundamental :-)

(This on Debian unstable, Linux 4.6.1, xmonad, X11, xmonad-contrib from git.)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Sometimes it pays to stay in bed on Monday, rather          Adam Sjøgren
  than spending the rest of the week debugging           asjo at koldfront.dk
  Monday's code."