[xmonad] Prevent swapping workspaces on multi-monitor setup

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Mon Aug 22 22:59:29 UTC 2016

For cycling through workspaces (in my setup with Win-PgUp/PgDown, you can
achieve what you want using moveTo Prev HiddenWS and moveTo Next HiddenWS
(defined in X.A.CycleWS).  For switching to workspaces, say 1..10, directly
without messing with their assignment to monitors, XMonad has
XMonad.StackSet.view.  With the behaviour you describe, I suspect that your
workspace switching keys are bound to XMonad.StackSet.greedyView.
XMonad.StackSet.view simply focuses the requested workspace if it is
already visible on some monitor and otherwise behaves the same as
greedyView.

Cheers,
Norbert

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 7:09 PM, Eyal Erez <oneself at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use xmonad with two monitors.  I love that I can switch workspaces
> in each monitor independently.  I don't believe any other WM supports
> this feature.  However, if a workspace is visible on one monitor and I
> hit its number on another monitor, xmonad will swap the two
> workspaces.
>
> For example:
>
> *focus
> mon  A   B
> SW  [1] [2]*
>
> If I hit M-1, I get
>
> *focus
> mon  A   B
> ws  [2] [1]*
>
> I was hoping that there's a way to change this behavior.  I would like
> xmonad to either not do anything in this case or better yet, switch
> the focus on the other monitor without swapping workspaces.
>
> Thank you,
>
> --
> There are 10 types of people, those who know binary and those who don't.

Norbert Zeh
Professor and Canada Research Chair
Faculty of Computer Science, Dalhousie University
E: nzeh at cs.dal.ca - T: +1-902-494-3154 - F: +1-902-492-1517