[xmonad] Floating Terminator moves 1px everytime

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 20:04:35 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Jeroen Budts <jeroen at budts.be> wrote:

> I use Terminator as my terminal, but i have configured it so I can use
> it 'quake-style': with xfwm4 it appears over my other windows when I
> press <F12> and disappears when pressing <F12> again.
>
> To simulate this same behavior in xmonad I configured Terminator to
> always float. This works, but every time I hide and open the Terminator
> window again it moves 1 pixel to the right and bottom. Initially it is
> to the left edge of the screen and just below the xfce-panel, but after
> using it a few times there is a 'gap' between the edge of the screen and
> terminator and between xfce-panel and terminator.
> I have no idea what is causing this, any help would be much appreciated :)

There's several places where xmonad doesn't track the window border
properly with respect to the window (the border is actually *within* the
window and so enlarges it by borderWidth pixels on each side). Worse, some
of the places that do this unconditionally use the default borderWidth, so
you can't even configure just that window to have no borders to work around
it. I'm still tracking down all the places this happens, but one known one
is hard to fix (it's doing that default borderWidth thing because nothing
else has had a chance to run yet, and you can't run it afterward because it
has to set the default position/size early for the ManageHook to work.
Nasty chicken-and-egg situation.)

However, in this case you may want to use a better simulation of the
quake-like behavior instead: XMonad.Util.NamedScratchpad. I have a couple
of terminals and various other windows configured as NamedScratchpad
windows and they stay where they're put.