[xmonad] Focus chrome window after changing workspace

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 00:59:09 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Josiah Schwab <jschwab at gmail.com> wrote:

> I based my config from the example (man/xmonad.hs) that ships with
> xmonad-0.11 on Arch Linux.  Is an example of a bad config?  With my
> limited understanding, it seems like it matches your description.

It hasd a limpid comment at the top that contains its real danger; I keep
trying to get a much stronger warning added, but despite repeated requests
that one is still there and still does not have a proper warning.

It is an example of how to override every setting. It does so by overriding
every setting, with the defaults for one particular version of xmonad; this
means you do not inherit any defaults, and if the defaults change in a
later version then you will not see those changes (this bit a lot of people
when dmenu changed its usage and we updated the mod-p binding, but people
using that "example" didn't get the change because the old way was
hardcoded in their configs. That was what convinced me that that example
was Evil). If we were to change the implementation in certain ways, or if
you use an example from a later version with an earlier version (someone
popped up on IRC with that problem the other day), it wouldn't even compile.

The correct place to start is shown on the xmonad wiki:

https://wiki.haskell.org/Xmonad/Config_archive/Template_xmonad.hs_(darcs)

(which is actually valid for 0.10 and later).

If you want to truly start "from scratch",
https://wiki.haskell.org/Xmonad/Config_archive/John_Goerzen%27s_Configuration
is a little dated but still valid.

(I'm still working my way through trying to get the wiki up to date. Nobody
else seems interested in doing so, sigh.)