[xmonad] Dealing with large amounts of pages in a common web browser

Felix Crux felixc at felixcrux.com
Sat Jan 10 16:21:47 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 10 10:12, Troels Henriksen wrote:
> Do you have any suggestions on how to deal with this?  Some combination
> of Firefox hacks and xmonad layouts?  How do you set up your browsers?

I don't have a good answer for you, but this is something I've also thought
about and tried to tweak. It's a bit odd to have a window manager, a browser
that manages tabs and groups of tabs, a text editor with both tabs and its
own internal concept of window layout, a terminal with tabs, and inside it,
a terminal multiplexer with again its own concept of window layout and tabs.
Still, I haven't been able to really unify all this very well.

For Firefox in particular, though, there are a few useful tweaks/tips:
- Most, but not all, of the superflous UI can be customized away.
- Extensions like this might help: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/hide-tab-bar-with-one-tab/
- Setting your homepage to "about:newtab" will give new windows the
  same useful behaviour as new tabs, like putting the cursor directly
  in the address bar when you start.
- Shift-click opens links in a new window.

Hope this helps a bit,

--
Felix