[xmonad] Dealing with large amounts of pages in a common web browser

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Sat Jan 10 09:12:19 UTC 2015

I have been using xmonad for some years now, and all throughout, the
browser I have been using has been a private fork of surf[0], which is
essentially just a Webkit webview in a window by itself.  However, I
would like to switch to a more widely used browser (Chrome, Firefox,
Conkeror, whatever) for usability and security reasons.

The nice thing about surf is that it opens a window per page, which
means that they are all visible to xmonad, and navigable through things
like GridSelect, which would not be the case if I simply had two dozen
tabs open in Firefox.  However, sometimes tabs are nice - specifically,
it's practical to use CTRL-clicking to open new pages in the background.

Do you have any suggestions on how to deal with this?  Some combination
of Firefox hacks and xmonad layouts?  How do you set up your browsers?

[0]: http://surf.suckless.org/

--
\  Troels
/\ Henriksen