[xmonad] darcs patch: Split out the X event get function from xmonad.

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 16:34:06 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 11:24 AM, adam vogt <vogt.adam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Finally, do you have an example of something you can do with the
> eventGetter that cannot be done with handleEventHook?

One thing I've wanted is the ability to hook into GHC's I/O manager instead
of polling X11 directly. Currently, other threads will not run until xmonad
receives an X11 event, because it's blocked in the FFI instead of the I/O
manager monitoring the X11 socket. This also means you can't sensibly wait
on both a socket/pipe and X11 events.

(Doing the above right also implies that either we synthesize X11 events
for non-X11 events, or add an additional eventHook for them. The latter is
probably easier, since the former either needs to "steal" an event type
from X11 or a rather nonsensical patch to the X11 bindings to support a
non-X11 event as an "X11" event type.)