[xmonad] Dual monitor hotplug issue

Miles Sabin miles at milessabin.com
Thu Dec 3 10:01:16 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

I have laptop which is usually connected to a large external monitor.
When it's connected, the external monitor is configured as the X
primary using Xrandr. When I disconnect the external monitor the X
configuration is automatically updated using autorandr, turning off
the external monitor and setting the laptop panel as the primary.

The switch of primary causes xmobar to automatically switch from the
external monitor to the laptop panel, which is what I want.

Unfortunately, a lot of windows are also moved onto the workspace
which is visible on the laptop panel. Some of these are from the
workspace which was visible on the monitor which has just been
removed, but others are from workspaces which weren't visible on
either the external or the laptop panel.

How would I disable this behaviour? I want the primary to switch to
the laptop panel, but I would like windows in workspaces that were on
the disconnected monitor to stay part of their now invisible
workspaces.

This is with xmonad 0.11.

Cheers,

Miles