[xmonad] How to have separate layout sets per screen in XMonad?

Tal Walter talw10 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 08:11:01 UTC 2015

Hi all!
Is it possible to define 2 separate layout sets one per monitor in use?
(not one per workspace)

The use case is basically to have layouts with a master area on the left
side for my right monitor, and the same layouts only 'reflected
horizontally' (using Layout.Reflect) on my left monitor (i.e. master area
on the right), so that, overall, the master areas are always in the center
of the total estate of the 2 monitors.
A solution that has separate layout sets per screen should be more than
enough for this.

I have a vague memory of finding such a module way back when, but I've went
through the entirety of xmonad-contrib recently (looked at xmonad-extras as
well) and didn't find a solution for this.

There are separate layouts per workspace, and having separate workspaces
per screen, but I want to switch between the 2 monitors on the fly and have
consistent layouts as described above. So this solution won't work.

In case I'm not missing any module in contrib, could someone please point
me in a good starting direction as to how to implement such a thing?

Any help is greatly appreciated!