[xmonad] Issue 526 in xmonad: avoidStruts uses getWindowInfo dpy rootWindow instead of getCleanedScreenInfo

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Thu Aug 6 20:52:58 UTC 2015

Updates:

Comment #2 on issue 526 by allber... at gmail.com: avoidStruts uses
getWindowInfo dpy rootWindow instead of getCleanedScreenInfo
https://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=526

...and it occurs to me that we can't represent docks on multiple screens
properly anyway, since any in the direction of monitor stacking can only be
on the ends anyway. (I'm poking at our incorrect _NET_WORKAREA
implementation.) I don't think this can be fixed properly. In particular,
since EWMH assumes the workspace lives across all monitors, *it* (via strut
and _NET_WORKAREA) does not support docks between screens properly.

We could still do better than we currently are, but it's going to be a
major pain.

Also: it has been claimed that the current screen info is from the first
Xlib check and not updated by monitor changes. The workaround of using the
current bounds of the root window is flat-out wrong, because we *need* to
know the boundaries between monitors; some other solution should be found.