[xmonad] Transparent Border with Chrome Beta/Unstable

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 18:57:49 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Eyal Erez <oneself at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've recently update my machine to find that chrome's window border
> (orange on all my other windows) is now transparent.  I noticed that Google
> have added their new Aura graphics stack instead of GTK+
> <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/chromium-dev/Zpu9801pPRc>,
> and I'm wondering if this is not playing nicely with xmonad.  Downgrading
> to Chrome stable solves the problem.  But I'm guessing that once the stable
> version gets updated, I'll get the same issue again.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?  Is there anything I can do to confirm that
> this is the problem or fix it somehow?

One drawback of using server side borders is that the transparency behavior
is defined by the application, since the border is technically part of the
application window and not a frame window. It may be possible to specify
the border color as RGBA (e.g. focusedBorderColor = "#ffa500ff") instead of
RGB... but this may then break (i.e. cause BadMatch X11 errors) windows
which are *not* RGBA.

(The #xxx format for colors may not work for RGBA; it may need to be
"rgba:1/0.65/0/1".)