[xmonad] Fwd: Integration with Gnome 3

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 18:43:45 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Alexandre Medeiros <
alexandre.n.medeiros at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to run Xmonad with Gnome 3.14 on my Arch system.
>
> I tried following both the ArchWiki[1] and the XmonadWiki[2] with no
> success.

Both those pages are out of date (and I have just unlinked the xmonad wiki
one, replacing it with a stub MATE page which is not yet complete but will
probably work if you don't mind losing the standard MATE session).

Gnome 3 > 3.8 does not work with any window manager other than gnome-shell.
It is increasingly difficult to backport gnome-flashback, which creates a
Gnome 2 environment with a Gnome 3-like theme.

The closest you can get to the old Gnome 2 integration is to integrate with
MATE. Gnome 3 is not possible, for xmonad or any other window manager.