[xmonad] Ultra Wide Monitors and Xmonad

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 17:19:22 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Eyal Erez <oneself at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying one of these new ultra wide monitors
> <http://www.lg.com/us/ultrawide-monitors> that are 21:9.  At this width,
> it doesn't really make sense for a single workspace to occupy the entire
> screen.  I was wondering if there was a way to assign more than one
> workspace to a single monitor?  Extra points for being able to add or
> remove workspaces at will.  The goal is to have 2-3 workspaces on a single
> monitor side by side.

First off, make sure the X server supports it. Many of the new ultrawide
screens use multiple video connections and current xorg treats them as
different monitors, often with unfortunate results because it's not as
straightforward as putting half of the screen on one and half on the other.
Last I heard, they were still arguing over how to change xrandr and the low
level xinerama stuff to handle it properly, and what level of application
level (this includes xmonad) changes might be required to support them.

Given that, XMonad.Layout.LayoutScreens can be used to split screens into
chunks which xmonad will see as separate xrandr screens.