[xmonad] Startup Arguments

Dmitri Iouchtchenko johnnyspoon at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 04:41:23 UTC 2014

On 06/10/2014, Chris Bell <cwbell at mail.usf.edu> wrote:
> I run Xmonad on my laptop, where I sometimes have multiple displays
> (when I'm at my desk). As a result, I have two Xmonad configs - one
> for a single screen, and one for two screens, which spawns extra
> copies of some programs (xmobar, for example). However, to keep
> everything playing nice, I have to manually swap out the config each
> time I switch my monitor setup by editing my xmonad.hs.

You may have some luck with XMonad.Hooks.DynamicBars
(http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Hooks-DynamicBars.html).
It's for dynamically starting and stopping status bars on each screen,
but you could probably use it to manage other things as well. I've
been using it for a while now, and it works great for having one
xmobar instance per screen.

There's one issue
(https://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=538) where the
xmobars aren't dealt with automatically. There was a comment about it
at the time from the maintainer
(http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2013-June/013765.html) but I
haven't heard about it since. In the meantime, I just recompile and
restart xmonad using a keybinding each time I change my screen
configuration, and that works. Only a single configuration file, and
no need to pass in arguments or even deal with Xinerama manually.