[xmonad] Issue 573 in xmonad: XMonad.Util.XSelection.getSelection leaks a handle to the X server

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sun Jun 1 00:00:26 UTC 2014

Comment #5 on issue 573 by allber... at gmail.com:
XMonad.Util.XSelection.getSelection leaks a handle to the X server

You may never receive an event if the selection owner dies/exits before
responding to SelectionRequest. You may also receive things like keyboard
mapping notifications which you'll want to ignore.

I don't think there's a simple "naïve" solution here, much as with
putSelection. You do it right or you have the potential for deadlocks. If
we're going to insist on not using callbacks then I guess for now we accept
and document the deadlock potential.

A future replacement for this thing (someday! I started on it to fix
putSelection, but there is no hope for a compatible interface because you
simply cannot do it this way) will need to use callbacks. My proposed
design uses a handleEventHook and some ExtensibleState.