[xmonad] Issue 557 in xmonad: xmonad grabs keyboard and mouse on focus follows mouse, reproducibly

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sat Jan 18 20:19:36 UTC 2014

Comment #9 on issue 557 by joeyhe... at gmail.com: xmonad grabs keyboard and
mouse on focus follows mouse, reproducibly

I reported this bug when I'd just switched to a new laptop. I noticed that
over time, the frequency of the bug happening went down. I apparently was
doing something when the hardware was new to me, that I stopped doing.
Probably fat-fingering its clickpad in some way was causing it to occur
early on. Also, using the touch screen it's easy to reproduce the bug, but
you need a touch screen (and now I keep mine turned off!)

Today, I found another, perhaps better way to reproduce a similar problem.
All I need is a single window open in the current workspace. I first press
and hold the left Windows key (mod). Then I press and release the right Alt
key (this should be identical to clicking mouse button 2, which my laptop
does not allow doing in hardware.. I use xkbset to bind right Alt to mouse
button 2). Then I release the left Windows key.

Unlike the problem initially described, this results in the mouse movement
not getting grabbed. Otherwise the behavior is as described: No key presses
or mouse clicks (or focus follows mouse) has any effect, until I restart
xmonad.

For some reason, I can't reproduce that with the stock xmonad
configuration. However,
I can reproduce it with the default mouseBindings setting. If I install a
custom mouseBindings that leaves off the mod-button2 binding, that
naturally avoids the problem. (However, clicking on the touch screen can
still cause the problem in that configuration.)

BTW, I seem to see some flashing of the window border when this bug
happens, as if the window lost and regained focus.