[xmonad] tiny config file gives error, please can someone take a quick look at it?

jenia.ivlev jenia.ivlev at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 18:20:27 UTC 2014

Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
writes:

> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM, jenia.ivlev
> <jenia.ivlev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     That's my error message. (I don't understand why I get
>     undisplayable
>     characters, like that "a" with the hat).
>

> That looks like Unicode vs. iso8859 confusion. It was trying to print
> "smart quotes".
>
>     Error detected while loading xmonad configuration file:
>     /home/jenia-xmonad/.xmonad/xmonad.hs
>     xmonad.hs:8:45: parse error on input â=â
>     Please check the file for errors.
>

> The line indicated appears to be
>
> kb = XConfig {XMonad.modMask = modMask} = (modMask, xK_b)
>
> which is in fact incorrect. I suspect it was supposed to be
>
> kb XConfig {XMonad.modMask = modMask} = (modMask, xK_b)
>
> which uses record syntax in a pattern to unpack modMask from an
> XConfig parameter. You might find it less confusing with parentheses:
>
> kb (XConfig {XMonad.modMask = modMask}) = (modMask, xK_b)

Thanks a lot. It works exept for one line:

    `, modMask = mod4mask`

The error message is the following:

    Error detected while loading xmonad configuration file: /home/jenia-xmonad/.xmonad/xmonad.hs

    xmonad.hs:13:38:
        Not in scope: âmod4maskâ
        Perhaps you meant one of these:
          âmod4Maskâ (imported from XMonad),
          âmodMaskâ (imported from XMonad), âmod1Maskâ (imported from XMonad)

    Please check the file for errors.

Lets me repaste the config file:

import XMonad
import XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog

main = xmonad =<< statusBar cmd pp kb conf
  where
    cmd = "xmobar"
    pp = xmobarPP
    kb (XConfig {XMonad.modMask = modMask}) = (modMask, xK_b)
    conf = myConfig

myConfig = defaultConfig { borderWidth = 2
	                 , terminal = "urxvt"
			 , modMask = mod4mask <----------- here is the mistake
                         }